Things are heating up outside and, on the grill, so let’s talk steak! First things first – start with a good piece of meat, a New York, Filet, or rib-eye would be perfect! Something nice …and thick.
I have a great recipe (below) for a Bitter & Bourbon Steak Marinade that is loaded with flavor – from the aromatic bitters, to bourbon, black peppercorns, orange zest and cherry preserves (yes, I kind of based it on a cocktail!).
But if you’re going more simple, then just rub your steak with some olive oil and season with a little sea salt and pepper, or my D’Lish French Seasoning Salt that has a nice hit of smoked paprika and garlic in it!
No matter how you prep your steak, the following are some grilling best practices:
- About 30 minutes before you grill – take the steaks out of the refrigerator and let them sit at room temp, this will help you get a good, even cook – once it hits the heat.
- Be sure to pre-heat your grill to high, and lightly rub your steaks with a little olive oil, then sprinkle with a little sea salt and fresh cracked pepper – or go for big flavor with a good sprinkle of my Dish D’Lish French Seasoning Salt!
- Place the steaks on the grill and cook until nicely marked on the first side (leave it be now- don’t move them around if you want nice grill markings).
- Then turn over and cook on the other side, depending upon your steaks thickness will depend upon how long to cook it.
- Remember the meat will continue to cook a bit after removing from the grill – and you can always put it back on for more heat – you just cannot go back the other way!
And most of all – enjoy, Kathy!
Bitter & Bourbon Steak Marinade
This marinade is loaded with flavor – from the Aromatic Bitters, to Bourbon, Black Peppercorns, Orange Zest and Cherry preserves. Great with your favorite cut of steak or try it on pork or lamb chops.
Makes: 1 cup, marinates up to 4 steaks
3 Tbsp. Angostura Aromatic Bitters
1/4 cup cherry preserves (or substitute peach preserves)
1 Tbsp. bourbon
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil or olive oil
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. finely minced ginger
1 Tbsp. finely minced garlic
1 tsp. black peppercorns, crushed
Pinch crushed red chili flakes
2 tsp. orange zest
4 steaks (choose your favorite cut)
For the marinade, whisk together all ingredients until well combined. Store refrigerated for up to 1 week.
To marinate steaks: place steaks and marinade into a large resealable plastic bag and massage ingredients to help distribute the marinade. Place bag in a shallow baking dish and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
When ready to serve: bring steak to room temperature before cooking. Remove steak from marinade; reserve used marinade. Pat dry and season steaks with salt on each side. Grill or pan sear to desired doneness. Transfer steaks to a platter.
Recipe by Kathy Casey Food Studios®